Friday, March 11, 2011

Cult of Youth: Special Edition


I am a sucker for special editions, and got one from a recent musical favorite Cult of Youth. This was mostly the packaging of the vinyl, which was beautifully done. As you can see above a seal of wax was placed with an ominous bewitching triangle on the back. Its wrapped in almost a wallpaper material with quite the futuristic pattern on it. All and all is it worth 5 more bucks I don't really think so, however a sheepish grin did graced my face at having number 24 of 100 so good luck at getting one.

Now lets talk about the album. Having been following Mr. Sean Ragon's solo work I was surprised at how tame this was. Not tame in a bad way but definitely more in the neofolk direction than the very punk folk he had going on before the band. Now this I suppose should have been expected with the addition of a violinist and a percussionist. Bass we can forget about because I would be close to positive Ragon's writing it anyways. And I say percussionist over drummer because I really liked the punk rock raw drumming of his previous albums. There is enough serious emo shit, I want it angry, nihilistic, and passionate. This has the nihilist and passionate part but definitely falls a little shorter than his other works in a less angry feel in part due to the additions in the band and a little bit better production. Speaking of the production, certain songs actually come in very loud for just a moment, which is a great jogger because the songs are much longer than previous Cult of Youth stuff, I thought it was an interesting attention grabbing tactic. I am nerding out though, this is a great album with a huge range and I think the approach the band took as a hole is more approachable.

And heres a taster:

Cult of Youth - New West by sacredbones
And if you want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment